1917 marked the year the Cuban Embassy finished construction in Washington, DC, where it stood and served for forty-four years until the United States severed relations with Cuba in1961. Until now, nearly a century after its completion, the building served as the de facto embassy to Cuba and it was Switzerland that served as the protecting power of Cuba in the United States and vise versa. The historic re-opening of the embassy in this summer of 2015 will be one remembered not just by cigar loves eager to light up coveted Havana tobacco; but around the world as an occasion long overdue. The Cuban flag has never flown in front of the mansion at 2630 16th street in Washington DC and ninety miles has never seemed so close.
Jose Cabanas, Cuban...Read More